Since 2014 my primary work has been my business, Consulting for Authors. I worked behind the scenes with high-profile authors to help them grow and leverage their digital platforms and implement successful book launches.
I also dabbled in a bunch of other projects in the past few years. I started a side-business-passion-project (You Are Not Alone Box) which offers curated gift boxes to send to someone who is grieving. I was a regular contributor at The Art of Simple for 7 years. I published poetry here and there.
During my 7 years focused on helping other authors, I didn’t make much time for my own creative writing (and of course, I had two more babies). I also got really burnt out. Really burnt out.
I recently made some big changes in my business, letting go of my biggest client so that I could work less, recover from burnout, and figure out what kinds of work I want to do next.
It is a very interesting transition phase of my work life because I now have the luxury of considering what I want, not just how do I make enough money to take care of my family. I have so many thoughts on that, but for the moment, I’m skipping ahead to the basics of what I’m working on in 2021.
- My novel. I’m not ready to share any details about this project, but I am delighted to be making progress and I’m enjoying the challenge of it. I have been taking fiction workshops online to get my head back in the space for this kind of writing and revising.
- Teaching live workshops for authors. At the moment, I am taking a break from offering services for clients and am instead trying out teaching what I’ve learned in the past 7 years about book launches and author marketing. If you’re interested, the next live workshop starts on April 14. Discounts available for registering early.
- Poetry. I recently started sharing poems on Instagram because I finally decided… why not?
- A podcast where I help brainstorm ideas to help for people at the beginning stages of growing a business or growing their author platform. This is currently just in the idea phase, but I love talking with people about their small business marketing challenges or where they feel stuck building their author platform. I know what it is like to need help, but not be able to afford business coaching or any other kind of one-on-one help so I thought I could offer it for free by recording the conversations and turning it into a podcast. If you’re at all interested, I’m looking for people to be a guest on the show. Use the contact form and tell me about yourself and your business and I’ll follow up if it seems like a good fit.
- You Are Not Alone Box. I need to give this business more attention and decide if I really want to scale it and figure out how to make it sustainable.
I have a million other creative project and business ideas I want to try, but for the time being, these will be my work projects to focus on for 2021!